The Ducal Palace is located at the highest point of the town of Lerma. It was constructed on the site of a 15th century castle and built according to architect Francisco de Mora's plans in successive phases between 1601 and 1617. Francisco Gomez de Sandoval y Rojas, first Duke of Lerma, ordered the castle built as a place of lodging, rest an general enjoyment for King Felipe III. - The parador building features a central courtyard surrounded by columned arcades in altenating sections: the first has 20 Tuscan columns with semi-circular arches, and the second has 20 Ionic columns. The palace was restored and converted into Parador rooms that have a capacity of 133 persons. Aside from the usual hotel services such as restaurant and convention rooms, the Parador is also equipped with Internet access.