Cannach - Dommeldange - Gaiche - Junk - Livange - Luxembourg - Xembourg
Founded in 963, Luxembourg became a grand duchy in 1815 and an independent state under the Netherlands. It lost more than half of its territory to Belgium in 1839, but gained a larger measure of autonomy. Full independence was attained in 1867. Overrun by Germany in both World Wars, it ended its neutrality in 1948 when it entered into the Benelux Customs Union and when it joined NATO the following year. In 1957, Luxembourg became one of the six founding countries of the European Economic Community (later the European Union) and in 1999 it joined the euro currency area. LOCATION:
Western Europe, between France and Germany. LOCATION:
Modified continental with mild winters, cool summers BORDERS:
Belgium 148 km, France 73 km, Germany 138 kmThe Grand Duchy of Luxembourg takes up an area of 2586 square kilometers and is home to 415,870 people. Wedged between France, Germany and Belgium, it encompasses forested highlands in the north (the Ardennes) and rolling farmland and world-class vineyards in the south. The country’s capital, Luxembourg City, is in the south of the country. Present-day Luxembourg exists thanks to Count Sigefroid of Ardennes who raised a castle here in 963 AD. By the end of the Middle Ages, Siegfroid’s city had Burgundians, Spanish, French, Austrians and Prussians all fighting each other for control of it. Besieged, destroyed and rebuilt more than twenty times in 400 years, it became the strongest fortress in Europe, after Gibraltar. The discovery of iron ore in 1850 ensured that Luxembourg would take its place among Europe’s economic powers.